I saw that some individual issues are being migrated but we have not agreed
first of all how we are handling the migration, how we split the work and
most of all - how we are handling the issues afterwards.

I think we have a unique chance to work out, document and follow a
lightweight process and agree between ourselves on how to do it. If we
don't do it we might end up with a similar mess as we have in JIRA now -
just using a different tool.

For now, we have no rules defined nor best practices for how we are
handling new issues, how we are labeling them etc. Just to give an example
(note Ash - I am not criticizing, just showing an example that I think we
can do better and that we have no common rules around how we deal with
issues). There was this issue
https://github.com/apache/airflow/issues/7890 which
was closed as invalid without any explanation. I think it's not really a
good idea. I believe we should always, as a rule, state why we are closing
an issue even if it is invalid. The main reason is that if someone will
have a similar issue they will be able to find it there or next time we can
refer them to such closed issues. Issues in GitHub are indexed by Google
and I often find solutions in already closed issues when there is an
explanation - even for invalid ones. This is an invaluable source of
information that results in many fewer issues being open - because people
can find solutions before they open the issues. I think that was one of the
problems with JIRA that it was difficult to find similar issues, but with
Google indexing Github issues, it will happen automatically as long as we
provide good explanations and answer issues promptly.

I believe - reading Karolina's mail - that she is willing to help with
establishing processes/practices (and I know from working with her that
it's really helpful to organize it just a bit).

At the same time we could split the JIRA issues between ourselves in a
meaningful way and Karolina could help in managing the whole process.

WDYT? Do you also think this might be a good idea to do it in this way?

J.

--

Jarek Potiuk

M: +48 660 796 129 <+48660796129>