I don’t know how to compare the efforts since honestly I have very little idea
how many templated fields people tend to have. I can outline what each group
needs to do though.

Airflow maintainers
- Develop the compatibility layer
    - One time work before 3.0
    - Maintenance afterwards, at least until we drop 2.x support from all
providers
- Apply compatibility layer to all providers
- Drop compatibility layer from providers when they drop 2.x support
    - Not a hard requirement

Third-party operator authors
- Apply compatibility layer to all operators
- Drop compatibility layer from operators when dropping 2.x support
    - Not a hard requirement

DAG authors (that want to upgrade to Airflow 3)
- Same as third-party operator authors if the real authors don’t want to upgrade
- Convert DAGs to use the new syntax