I understand that the compatibility layer mentioned by TP would allow
providers to work with both Airflow 2.x and 3.x. I could see it working in
the following ways:
1) You can use DAGs with Airflow 3.x syntax in Airflow 2.x, so you can
migrate your DAGs gradually to 3.x syntax before upgrading to it (until
then you stay on Airflow 2.x).
2) You can use DAGs with Airflow 2.x syntax in Airflow 3.x, so you can
upgrade to 3.x and then gradually migrate your DAGs to 3.x syntax.

Which one do you have in mind? I think 2) would ease the upgrade path to
Airflow 3.x and encourage users to try it out, while 1) would have the
effect of keeping users at Airflow 2.x, as they cannot upgrade before
modifying their DAGs.