On 2008-11-13, Bruce Atherton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Conceptually I agree with you, but I think we need to recognize why
> people would want this and to validate their concerns.

I wasn't advocating we change the current behavior, Ant's own build
file relies on it in much the same way as

> Consider these targets:

>  <target name="full-build" depends="clean,compile,jar-files">...</target>
>  <target name="update-build" depends="compile,jar-files">...</target>

for example see the way we structure our test targets.

  <target name="run-tests"
     depends="dump-info,junit-tests,antunit-tests,check-failed"

and "check-failed" doesn't depend on anything, so with a different
executor model it might be run before any test has started.

In the context of phases I think we don't need control over ordering
since the targets that want to add themselves to phases shouldn't
really depend on each other.  If they do - that's what I meant to say
- then it smells as if an additional intermediate phase was missing.

But your example got me thinking.  It is pretty easy to imagine that
there would be "build" and "clean-build" phases much like what you
have shown with target.  If my target wants to do something only in
the clean-build phase it will most likely make a difference whether it
is run before or after "clean".