Quite satisfying to see this spike of mailing list activity! Didn't expect
we still had so many subscribers and "attic" seems to be a strong keyword :)

Aaron, thanks for refreshing my memory! I'm also not aware of any other
project supporting on the fly topology changes. It's a capability that most
use cases don't need, but unique for those that do. WRT Hadoop 3.x support:
How about you start a thread and ask how folks feel about moving the master
branch (4.x) to Hadoop 3.x? Changes should not be that dramatic as long as
it is just a switch and not a multi-version support. If there is buy-in,
perhaps you would like to pick up this work?

There is another opportunity I wanted to point out in case someone cares
about supporting Python or Go on Apex: The Beam portability framework has
moved forward quite a bit and the Python and Go SDKs now run on Flink (with
Samza in the works). If anyone is looking into Python support, this is the
most promising route because the support code is reusable across runners,
tested and the work is mostly wiring in the Apex runner. I had written the
Apex runner a long time ago and at some point soonish it will reach a
crossroad where either it will need to be dropped or upgraded to the Beam
portability framework. I don't see benefit doing that work unless someone
is interested using it and wants to contribute. But if there is interest,
Beam has a welcoming community and great technical depth / potential - I
would be happy to help.

Thomas