Hi,
I think tracking things in a tool would be better than having mailing
lists+JIRA. To make feature JIRAs easier to comprehend, we can close every JIRA
discussion with an attached Design proposal (mandatory). Once design is frozen
and complete, one can start with the implementation.
Not sure about JIRA customizations possible.It would be good if we could
customize JIRA tickets to keep discussions isolated from approved design
(within single JIRA ticket).
I personally find it tough to go through long JIRA discussions, just to
understand the final design concluded for a problem/feature.
Discussing initial thoughts about pain areas,improvements etc can be done on
the dev mailing list.
ThanksAnuj

  On Mon, 15 Aug, 2016 at 7:52 PM, Jonathan Ellis<jbel...@gmail.com> wrote:   A
long time ago, I was a proponent of keeping most development discussions
on Jira, where tickets can be self contained and the threadless nature
helps keep discussions from getting sidetracked.

But Cassandra was a lot smaller then, and as we've grown it has become
necessary to separate out the signal (discussions of new features and major
changes) from the noise of routine bug reports.

I propose that we take advantage of the dev list to perform that
separation.  Major new features and architectural improvements should be
discussed first here, then when consensus on design is achieved, moved to
Jira for implementation and review.

I think this will also help with the problem when the initial idea proves
to be unworkable and gets revised substantially later after much
discussion.  It can be difficult to figure out what the conclusion was, as
review comments start to pile up afterwards.  Having that discussion on the
list, and summarizing on Jira, would mitigate this.

--
Jonathan Ellis
Project Chair, Apache Cassandra