On Mon, Aug 15, 2016 at 10:23 AM Jonathan Ellis <jbel...@gmail.com> wrote:

> A long time ago, I was a proponent of keeping most development discussions
> on Jira, where tickets can be self contained and the threadless nature
> helps keep discussions from getting sidetracked.
>
> But Cassandra was a lot smaller then, and as we've grown it has become
> necessary to separate out the signal (discussions of new features and major
> changes) from the noise of routine bug reports.
>
> I propose that we take advantage of the dev list to perform that
> separation.  Major new features and architectural improvements should be
> discussed first here, then when consensus on design is achieved, moved to
> Jira for implementation and review.

+1!  I think it's important to point out here that nobody is proposing that
folks have to send an email like:

"I was thinking of naming my variable 'foo' here, what do you guys think?"

However, discussions and decisions that have an impact on Cassandra and its
direction/architecture (not an all-inclusive list here and we should use
reason to decide) should happen on the mailing list.  The idea here is
inclusiveness.  We want everyone in the community to have a chance to
contribute to these discussions.