While all of these things are true, it's irrelevant.  The ASF has a clear
policy on this (the "it didn't happen" policy).  Discussions and decisions
about the project must be done on the mailing lists.  You may disagree with
the policy (as many have before you) and feel free to take it up with the
powers that be, but until that policy changes, it's what we have to adhere
to.  The reason they chose mailing lists (IIUC) is that they are somewhat
of a "least common denominator."

I would suggest, instead of sending an email to the dev@ list saying "hey
folks, go to JIRA and look at stuff", that we do the opposite.  Let's have
the discussion on the mailing lists and in JIRA, we would link to the email
threads for any supporting documentation about the ticket.