* John Morrison <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [2003-12-07 11:12]:
> Hi All,
>
> Sorry for the off topic posting, but I've been thinking about
> upgrading my laptop and you guys have been saying how good
> the modern Macs are :)
>
> I was wondering if you'd tell me which Mac you have and
> whether you'd buy one again :)
>
> Thanks,
>
> J.
>
> PS, I've never owned a Mac before.
> PPS, if you want to email me about this off list; that's
> fine too :)

Must chime in. I "switched" a couple months ago to a G4 Powerbook.

What strikes me most is my new-found ability to pick up where I left
off. I've had laptops that knew how to go to sleep before, but never
one that knew how to wake up. Just open the screen and there's
everything just as I left it. I leave a line of code half-written
and pick it up first thing in the morning.

The G4 makes me realize the importances aesthetics, especially the
aethetics of something I am going to stare at for 14 hours a day.
That is is pleasant to look at also makes it easy to resume, to find
myself in that space where I forget the computer is there, where I
am just looking at my toughts.

And its Unix. I'm in vim, in mutt, in bash, in ssh, in bash, in
screen, right now. There are no Windows applications for me to miss.
I use Eclipse for Java. The JDK ships with OS X.

OS X politely patches itself from time to time. System maintence is
nothing I concern myself with.

The "it just works" factor is the trump. You will come to see your
Macintosh as a shrewd investment. You will see the commodity-priced
computing alteratives as false economy. When you buy a Mac you are
literally buying time.

Sorry, I know this is off topic.

--
Alain Javier Guarnieri del Gesu - [EMAIL PROTECTED]