Upayavira wrote:

Vadim Gritsenko wrote:

Geoff Howard wrote:

Vadim Gritsenko wrote:

Xindice has a Filer abstraction, and there is BTreeFiler implementation. It stores binary objects under an arbitrary binary key, and keys are organized into the BTree for fast store/retrieval. See test for filer here:

http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/xml-xindice/java/tests/src/org/apache/xindice/core/filer/FilerTestBase.java?view=auto

Filer uses several RandomAccessFile descriptors to provide concurrent reads / writes to the file.

Does that answer mean you think a XIndice persistent store implementation would be a good fit? As you're involved heavily in both projects, you'd be the best to comment probably...

It would work. Take a look at the linked class, as well as at Filer interface. What's your opinion?

That's what I think. It would work. The issue in my mind is more to do with performance. Could it compete with jisp? Do you have any thoughts there Vadim?

Well, this I don't know (and I never looked into Jisp source code - so can't comment on its workings). Do you want to test it?

What I know is that filer is ~ 100kb of Java source code, so it would be easier to find / fix bugs, if any. In compiled form it will be even less. To address Reinhard's concern, it could be packaged into separate jar, of Jisp size or so. So, if Jisp sticks to GPL, we still would have several options - from JCS to Xindice Filer.

PS What's JCS size / performance / etc?

Vadim