--- Niall Pemberton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Wed, Apr 2, 2008 at 3:51 AM, Matt Benson
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> >  --- James Carman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:
> >
> >  > On Tue, Apr 1, 2008 at 5:30 PM, Matt Benson
> >  > <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >  > >  Good questions!  I suppose that's the thing
> >  > do,
> >  > >  with the understanding that my pushing this
> makes
> >  > me
> >  > >  liable if I don't get off my ass and do
> what's
> >  > needed
> >  > >  to get that branch releasable, huh?
> >  > >
> >  >
> >  > So, how will this work if we want to promote
> this
> >  > thing to the proper?
> >
> >  To be honest, I'm not sure why [functor] was
> never
> >  ready to graduate, but I intend to get a better
> idea
> >  of its true status during the next week or so...
> >

> >  >  Do we promote based on the 1.0 code?
> >
> >  If for some reason the generics branch is ready
> before
> >  the 1.0, perhaps we can cross that bridge when we
> come
> >  to it?
> >

> >  >  We can't do a
> >  > release out of
> >  > the sandbox, correct?
> >
> >  Correct.
> >

> >  >  Or, does it even matter that
> >  > we'll have two
> >  > active branches (trunk and the non-genericized
> 1.0
> >  > branch) before
> >  > promotion?
> >
> >  I don't see that it really matters.  :)
>
> I can't help thinking it would be better to just
> work on one copy
> initially (i.e. trunk) - review whats there and do
> as much work as
> possible before doing the generics stuff. Otherwise
> you're just going
> to be duplicating each other. I just noticed Matt
> added checkstyle
> rules to the branch - thats a good example of
> something that would be
> good to sort out only once.

I've actually been thinking the same thing--if we get
other issues sorted out before adding generics code.
I'm just trying to keep my personal desire for a
1.3-compatible release from infringing too much on
others who may not want it.  I actually don't have
much to gain from such a release, but a) you never
know what you'll need tomorrow/next week/year, and b)
I've yet to find anything in the codebase that says
IMMATURE! to me, so I don't see why we can't resolve
any issues fairly quickly.  If we're that close to
being able to provide a working implementation, why
shouldn't we?

-Matt