On 02/04/2008, Matt Benson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>  --- Niall Pemberton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>  > On Wed, Apr 2, 2008 at 3:51 AM, Matt Benson
>  > <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>  > >
>  > >  --- James Carman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>  > wrote:
>  > >
>  > >  > On Tue, Apr 1, 2008 at 5:30 PM, Matt Benson
>  > >  > <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>  > >  > >  Good questions!  I suppose that's the thing
>  > >  > do,
>  > >  > >  with the understanding that my pushing this
>  > makes
>  > >  > me
>  > >  > >  liable if I don't get off my ass and do
>  > what's
>  > >  > needed
>  > >  > >  to get that branch releasable, huh?
>  > >  > >
>  > >  >
>  > >  > So, how will this work if we want to promote
>  > this
>  > >  > thing to the proper?
>  > >
>  > >  To be honest, I'm not sure why [functor] was
>  > never
>  > >  ready to graduate, but I intend to get a better
>  > idea
>  > >  of its true status during the next week or so...
>  > >
>  > >
>  > >  >  Do we promote based on the 1.0 code?
>  > >
>  > >  If for some reason the generics branch is ready
>  > before
>  > >  the 1.0, perhaps we can cross that bridge when we
>  > come
>  > >  to it?
>  > >
>  > >
>  > >  >  We can't do a
>  > >  > release out of
>  > >  > the sandbox, correct?
>  > >
>  > >  Correct.
>  > >
>  > >
>  > >  >  Or, does it even matter that
>  > >  > we'll have two
>  > >  > active branches (trunk and the non-genericized
>  > 1.0
>  > >  > branch) before
>  > >  > promotion?
>  > >
>  > >  I don't see that it really matters.  :)
>  >
>  > I can't help thinking it would be better to just
>  > work on one copy
>  > initially (i.e. trunk) - review whats there and do
>  > as much work as
>  > possible before doing the generics stuff. Otherwise
>  > you're just going
>  > to be duplicating each other. I just noticed Matt
>  > added checkstyle
>  > rules to the branch - thats a good example of
>  > something that would be
>  > good to sort out only once.
>  >

+1

> I've actually been thinking the same thing--if we get
>  other issues sorted out before adding generics code.
>  I'm just trying to keep my personal desire for a
>  1.3-compatible release from infringing too much on
>  others who may not want it.  I actually don't have
>  much to gain from such a release, but a) you never
>  know what you'll need tomorrow/next week/year, and b)
>  I've yet to find anything in the codebase that says
>  IMMATURE! to me, so I don't see why we can't resolve
>  any issues fairly quickly.  If we're that close to
>  being able to provide a working implementation, why
>  shouldn't we?

+1

I've run Findbugs and there aren't any serious errors - it reports
non-transient non-serializable fields in some classes, but they are
for interfaces for which users are advised to create serializable
implementations. These can be fixed in a Findbugs exception filter.

Eclipse builds everything using 1.3.

However, it's currently difficult to build/test against 1.3 from the
command-line, as there are no Maven 1 or Ant build files. Anyone care
to add either?