On Mon, Oct 25, 2010 at 10:52 AM, James Carman
<ja...@carmanconsulting.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 25, 2010 at 1:48 PM, Filip Defoort
> <filip...@cirquedigital.com> wrote:
>>
>> Depends. I do have a bunch of wrappers for common types of retries,
>> but often the remedy really is different depending on the operation
>> (I'm dealing a lot with search indexes, updating them and transaction
>> locking).
>>

> Again, you can use try/catch if you want to with runtime exceptions.

No, you can't. Yes you can catch them, but you really want to start
parsing the text of the exception just to know what situation you're
in ? I already have to do that with some of the exceptions in the
mysql driver and it's a royal PITA.

> I'd say your usage is not typical.  Most folks don't do anything
> meaningful at the local level (in the immediate catch block).  They
> let the exception go up the call stack or take care of it by other
> means (aspects, thread group's unchecked exception, etc).

Typical or not, at least in my immediate work environment I know quite
a few people that deal with the same problems.

- Filip