On Mon, Oct 25, 2010 at 10:51 AM, Paul Benedict <pbened...@apache.org> wrote:
> Checked exceptions throw a burden onto the developer. He is forced to
> do something. Why force this burden? It assumes something SHOULD be
> done for these particular errors. I don't think that's realistic
> (they're OS errors -- not business errors), which is why checked
> exceptions have fallen well out of favor in the last decade.

In my view, it is the developer's job to provide an solid experience
to the user. That includes properly dealing with underlying system
errors in the least cryptic possible way and recovering where
possible. And those errors aren't always OS errors - could very well
be incorrect usage/...

I do agree that that is extra work, but if you just sweep exceptions
under the rug all the time, you end up with really crappy software.

- Filip