On Mon, Oct 25, 2010 at 1:55 PM, Filip Defoort
<filip...@cirquedigital.com> wrote:

> No, you can't. Yes you can catch them, but you really want to start
> parsing the text of the exception just to know what situation you're
> in ? I already have to do that with some of the exceptions in the
> mysql driver and it's a royal PITA.

Huh?  I'm not saying to literally use RuntimeException everywhere!
I'm saying to base our exception hierarchy on RuntimeException (public
class FileSystemException extends RuntimeException) so they don't have
to be caught.  This is exactly what Hibernate has done.

> Typical or not, at least in my immediate work environment I know quite
> a few people that deal with the same problems.

Again, you have a choice with runtime exceptions.  Catch them if you
wish.  So, we're not breaking your code.