On Mon, Oct 25, 2010 at 10:56 AM, James Carman
<ja...@carmanconsulting.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 25, 2010 at 1:53 PM, Filip Defoort
> <filip...@cirquedigital.com> wrote:
>>
>> In my view, it is the developer's job to provide an solid experience
>> to the user. That includes properly dealing with underlying system
>> errors in the least cryptic possible way and recovering where
>> possible. And those errors aren't always OS errors - could very well
>> be incorrect usage/...
>>

> So, fix your incorrect usage during testing.

Not _my_ incorrect usage. I write multi user applications and
sometimes one user does something that causes problem for another
user. Due to business constraints it's not always possible to avoid
letter them shoot themselves in the foot, but I still need to recover
from it (lest I get all the blame for the problem).

>> I do agree that that is extra work, but if you just sweep exceptions
>> under the rug all the time, you end up with really crappy software.
>>

> That's not our job to police folks' code.  If they want to write
> crappy software, then let them.  Maybe someone will hire us to come
> fix it! :)

Well, it's my job to write proper code. Other people can do all they
want, but with just a runtime exception I wouldn't be able to do what
I'd need to do.

Just my .02$.

- Filip