This is what we have done in ripple (and webworks)

master - always stable current shipping code
next - always 'stable' next release. Expectation that code has been tested
/ run before merged into this branch.
feature branches - branched off of next and merged into next when stable /
done. Not expected to be stable or runnable until merge time.