On Wed, Jan 2, 2013 at 11:05 PM, Michal Mocny <mmo...@chromium.org> wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 2, 2013 at 7:27 PM, Andrew Grieve <agri...@chromium.org>
> wrote:
>
> > From my understanding of git, there's nothing special about the master
> > branch, except that it's what gets checked out when someone doesn't
> > explicitly say which branch they want.
> >
> > Joe pointed out that sometimes random people check out the code and
> expect
> > it to be stable.
> > Gord pointed out that people tend to submit pull requests assuming that
> > master == dev branch.
> >
> > I think choosing between these two data points, I'd lean towards having
> > people submit more useful pull requests.
> >
> Well put, agreed.
>

> > I don't think either option affects how you'd go about doing a point
> > release. You would:
> > 1. Check out the relevant release tag (e.g. 2.3.0)
> > 2. Give the branch a name (e.g. branch_2.3.1)
> >
> I'm not sure why you would name the branch after checkout?  Wouldn't you
> name it by tagging after doing the merges in step 3?

When I check out one of our current tags, my branch is "(no branch)". I
suggest giving it a name right away so that you are able to switch to it
again.
$ git checkout 2.2.0
Note: checking out '2.2.0'.

You are in 'detached HEAD' state. You can look around, make experimental
changes and commit them, and you can discard any commits you make in this
state without impacting any branches by performing another checkout.

If you want to create a new branch to retain commits you create, you may
do so (now or later) by using -b with the checkout command again. Example:

  git checkout -b new_branch_name

HEAD is now at 02b91c5... Version 2.2.0