I think deleting and recreating branches with the same name can cause
badness in git[1] because of remotes. It's not really the same branch in
terms of commits, and git thinks that your old stable and the new stable
differ by all of each of their commits. Tags can be moved arbitrarily, so I
think stable makes sense as a tag. I'm not sure about how best to handle
next.

[1]
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/11844581/git-delete-and-recreate-branch