Noah Slater wrote:
On 16 Aug 2010, at 20:52, Miles Fidelman wrote:
Actually, I'd dispute that.  The INTERNET is perhaps the largest system ever
built, the web rides on top of a lot of lower level infrastructure.  There's a
lot of other stuff riding on top of the underlying IP infrastructure - email,
VoIP, chat, etc. - which don't rely on HTTP.  (Note: I speak as someone who
dates back to almost the beginning - I spent a good part of my career at BBN,
just as we were transitioning the ARPANET to TCP/IP, and it was serving as the
hub of the then fledgling Internet).
I was anticipating this response. :)
;-)
My reply would be to state that the Web subsumes the Internet in many ways.
My reply would be that I sure hope not. The trend toward pushing lower level functionality on top of application layer protocols really breaks a lot of the resiliency and flexibility that comes from layering.
True.  Though, it has also lead to (IMHO) abortions such as SOAP - which Dave
Winer initially wrote as a way to use HTTP to tunnel traffic through firewalls.
LOL

I think you mean XML-RPC, but they're both as bad as each other.
Fair point.
In either case, they are so hilariously against everything the Web stands for,
it's not really applicable!
Unfortunately, lots of people are violating what the web stands for these days. Just take a look at "apps" - silos by another name.