Hello Drew,

On Wed, 2007-09-05 at 23:38 +0000, Drew wrote:
> >> I don't read the whole thread

> >> Do you use the internal HSQLDB?
> >> Then it is a known bug
> >
> >ok, but what should I do? Do I say "yes", or, "No"?
> >
> >What sort of "bug" is it? i.e. is the "bug" superficial, such that the
> >file will still work fine if I say yes, or is something going to go
> >seriously wrong?
> >
> >How does one manage the situation in view of the bug.
>
> Hi Dinbandhu,
>
> OK - you have a table imported, yes.
>
> Now you want to set the ID field to auto_increment and identity.
>
> I just did this under Ubuntu - my last remarks where a little off - sorry.
>
> The steps are as follows:
>
> During import you must set the column that will be the PK and Auto_increment
> to 'REQUIRED" - therefor no NULLs are allowed.
>
> After the import, you open the table in the table editor. In the list of
> tables, right click on the table and select EDIT.
>
> NOW set the column to be the PK. Save the table.
>
> Then you must use the SQL window to handle the last step.
> Open the SQL window with TOOLS > SQL
>
> Assuming my table is named Table1 and the column is named ID I would enter
> this command:
>
> ALTER TABLE "Table1" ALTER COLUMN "ID" IDENTITY
>
> Click on the Execute button.
>
> The column type is changed without any loss of data.

Thank you for the directions. I followed them, and when I opened the
table, everything looked great. My table's 40 rows of data were there,
and in the ID column, in the 41st row, was the word <AUTO.

Upon trying to add another row of data though, I found that the auto
mechanism is not working properly. There is some bug there or something.
I started typing in the 41st row's second column, and the table
automatically added an ID number for it-- but it put the number "40"
there, duplicating the ID number above it in the 40th row. It allowed me
to type in the 2nd and 3rd columns of the 41st row, but once I finished
it removed what I had typed and replaced it with a duplication of what
is in those columns in the 40th row. And now it will now allow me to
type or change anything in either the 40th or 41st row. Something is
clearly not proper. Please give me some guidance about this.

Thanks,
Swarup