On Sat, 2007-09-08 at 02:02 +0000, Drew wrote:
> Hi Swarup,

> >> Simply don't. The order of columns is not relevant.
> >
> >For me, it is helpful to be able to do so. Because:
> >
> >1. The columns in my Base table are not at all in the order they were in
> >in my MS Access table. I had the columns arranged in an order that was
> >convenient to me. Now it is not conveniently arranged. Is the best way
> >to set this up, in the spreadsheet before I import it into Base?
>
> The best way to work in Base is using a form. This is actually much
> easier then you might think.

I see. That is interesting. Does that apply to adding data to the table
too? Or just to making changes in the table format/structure?

> What I recommend to people is that they get used to creating a basic
> form for each table right as they create the table. Using the create
> form wizard that is three mouse clicks. This will create a form with a
> table grid. Using the grid you can rearrange the order of your
> columns. When you add a column to a table, at the end of the table in
> the GUI, you simply open the basic form right click on the table grid
> header and select add field. The new column is there and you can
> arrange it where you like in the forms grid. Setting the column order
> in edit mode makes it permanent in the form, but you can also
> rearrange the columns at run time, for the duration of the form being
> opened.
>
> Base opens right to the forums section as you know. If you are used to
> working directly with tables in the table view of MS Access then you
> want to create one of these forms, named the same as the table. It is
> really no more difficult to do this in Base then switching to design
> mode in MSA to add / arrange columns.

This is all very interesting. I will have to create a form and
experiment with it a bit to see what it is all about and how it works.

By the way, whatever queries I had set up in MSA, there is no way to
import those, right? So I re-create myself the queries in Base which I
had in MSA? Is the system of setting up queries similar? Or are there
any important differences I should know about?

Thanks,
Swarup