On Sat, 2007-09-08 at 05:36 +0000, Drew wrote:
> >I see. That is interesting. Does that apply to adding data to the
> table
> >too? Or just to making changes in the table format/structure?
> >
> Yes, the table grid in the form lets you add data, edit or delete data
> same as you would in the data view window. It also allows you to
> easily add such things as drop down lookup lists to columns.

Great news! Somehow I didn't think it would manage the data also.

> >By the way, whatever queries I had set up in MSA, there is no way to
> >import those, right? So I re-create myself the queries in Base which
> >had in MSA? Is the system of setting up queries similar? Or are there
> >any important differences I should know about?
> >
> Well, not if you actually have MS Access on your computer, and it
> reads the mdb files you have. If so you can open the queries in Access
> and switch to the actual SQL view. Under windows you would just copy
> paste from an open Access window and an open Base window each
> connected to the same mdb file. With your situation, assuming you
> don't want install a free copy of OO.o under Windows you will need to
> copy the SQL in access and save it to a temp file. I assume you can
> access a common disk from the two operating systems.

Yes, I have an external hard drive. But given that Ubuntu can access the
Windows partition just fine, then wouldn't it be ok to put the temp file
on the Windows desktop, then reboot into Ubuntu and access the temp file
and copy/paste it into Base?

> Under Ubuntu start Base, create a query in SQL View and paste in the
> SQL you copied from MS Access. You can then in most cases turn the
> Designer view on and it will be parsed into the GUI designer.
> Sometimes you will need to leave it in SQL view, it never hurts. You
> would still use in just like any other query in Base, to feed a form
> or a report or another query. There are some differences in how you
> setup named replacement parameters, but that is easy to fix up.
>
> One place where this can get you however, is if your Access queries
> are using the value of some control as a parameter. Base does not
> support this. To duplicate that in Base you have to create some a very
> simple Basic macro, called from a form.

I see. Sounds a bit complex, but great news nonetheless. Once I import
the database that has the queries, then I'll try to get it set up. I
have a feeling I may need to contact you again at that time, to ask
further guidance.

> There are some differences in how you setup named replacement
> parameters, but that is easy to fix up.

Are there specific guidelines for this, or I should just contact you
with the details when I get to that stage?

> One place where this can get you however, is if your Access queries
> are using the value of some control as a parameter. Base does not
> support this. To duplicate that in Base you have to create some a very
> simple Basic macro, called from a form.

I'm not sure if I am using the value of some control as a parameter. But
my queries are just for a big address list I have, and separating out
which address belongs on which mailing list, and which address does not
belong on any mailing list. So I am guessing that I may not be using any
such thing as a value of some control as a parameter. I'm not certain,
but from the sound of the term it doesn't sound like I am.

Swarup