G. Roderick Singleton wrote:
On Mon, 2005-07-18 at 13:14 -0500, Peter Kupfer OOo wrote:

G. Roderick Singleton wrote:
SO if you want to complain about progress or lack thereof at the doc
project or any of the NL projects, get involved with OpenOffice.org and
not a third party project that seems bent on undermining on-going
efforts.

It is fantastic that the documentation project has done these things, but is part of the documentation project's objective to bring down OOoAuthors?

No but I do find the license change annoying. It blocks people using
documentation.openoffice.org from getting sources for what is supposedly
public.

What source can't someone get. They are all available at www.oooauthors.org.

The other thing about the license is that this change has not
been passed through the CC.

This seems to be contradictory. On the one hand you are sure to make very clear that OOoAuthors is not an accepted project, but then you want it to get approval through OOo's CC. Why would OOoAuthors go through the CC?

Why, I have no idea since Daniel is a member
and could have put it on the agenda so we could all work on the same
page.

You are a member of the OOoAuthors list were the discussion took place, so what page weren't you on?

Lastly I dislike the manner in which OOoAuthors recruits as it is
often at the expense of the accepted projects and NLCs.

We are the only project I have ever seen recruiting. I joined as a member of the documentation project but didn't really see how to help or see any signs of activity or work on the list. (I didn't look real hard to find instructions though.) I just got the impression that the User Guide was your baby, and that was it.

On the OOoAuthor's list there is active discussion about work that is being done and people are friendly and helpful if you have a question. When you got the web page it is very clear how to help and what needs to be done.

I am not trying to knock the doc's project. Just stating that maybe our recruiting is more successful because the site seems easier to use (at least 4 people think so.) I am not sure what is wrong with our recruiting practices. Someone says, "How can I help," Daniel responds with a way. If other people want to respond as well, then so be it, the user can decide what to do.

I have posted to the list saying I need a person to review X. Sometimes I get a response, other times I don't. I am not trying to /steal/ anybody from another project, just asking for assistance. Is that wrong?

Nothing in what Jonathon wrote warranted this response. (Not that his post was necessary either mind you, but that seems to be a personal issue between you too.) It is mean-spirited and divisive. What did you possible hope to accomplish from this post other than to start a fight.

The fight as you call it is the problem OOoAuthors has caused with the
NLCs.

I am ignorant here, what is the problem?

Why can't you just be happy that there are two groups working hard to produce free documentation? This should be something that pleases you, now makes you angry and bitter.

Angry, yes. Still haven't calmed down and probably won't for a while.

You have a wealth of knowledge that is beneficial to OOo and you have done a lot of work and have a position of leadership. I just would have thought you would be striving to bring the community together rather than pushing it apart as your last post did.

Since OOoAuthors seems bent on divorcing itself from OOo without help
from me, I am content to let things go.
http://documentation.openoffice.org will continue to publish whatever
OOoauthors deems to submit in pdf.

I am not sure why you think your help isn't wanted? Come review a document. The more the merrier.

So let us review what is going on:

1. OOoAuthors recruits and behaves as if it is an accepted OOo project
when in fact it is not and is not even an official incubator project.

Can you please elaborate on the allowable recruiting practices for accepted and 3rd party projects, is this the NCAA now?

2. Licensing problems that cause problems at OOo.

If we are causing problems, then I guess don't use our stuff.

Thanks for the response, I think this could be a productive discussion. (Just for clarity that is not sarcasm.)

--
Peter Kupfer -- Using OOo since 'OO4 -- [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Want to help? http://www.oooauthors.org