On 10/12/09 15:03, Felix Meschberger wrote:
Hi,

Richard S. Hall schrieb:
Oops, let me edit that:

If we ARE allowed to do it, then I'd rather have one file so we don't
have to determine whether we need to distinguish between the two cases
and have to maintain additional artifacts. For me, this has nothing to
do with courtesy, it has to do with easing the maintenance.
Point is that the NOTICE file must not be removed by downstream
re-bundlers (unless a dependency referred to is removed).

Also there is some stuff we include (for example the icons used in the
web console) where we have to attribute to the source.

And there is other stuff, where this is not required at all. And
generally, if we don't need to attribute, we should not (this is the
simplest of all cases ;-) ).

So, if we attribute something which is not required to be attributed, it
is IMHO a question of courtesy (and I am all for attributing everything
we include, don't get me wrong).

How about this :

   * Everything we include is added to the README file
   * If something needs attribution it is also added to the NOTICE
     file

This is probably as simple as it can get

Not quite. As simple as it gets is we attribute everything in the NOTICE file...one single file for all use cases, no need to distinguish, no multiple artifacts to maintain.

However, if we are NOT allowed to do so, then we have no choice.
My understanding is that we are probably NOT allowed ;-)

Well, reading the issue Bertrand references it is not clear. From my point of view the overall issue to decide is:

  1. Two-file approach, one for legal requirements and one for "courtesy".
  2. One-file approach for both.

I prefer (2) if this is possible.

-> richard

Regards