Hi Felix and Richard,

On 3 January 2017 at 16:40, Richard S. Hall <he...@ungoverned.org> wrote:

> On 1/3/17 11:21 , Felix Meschberger wrote:
>
>> Hi
>>
>> Upfront I like the amended proposal of using a version < 1 and a
>> mandatory attribute „provisional“ with value „felix“. As Neil said, BND
>> will solve this for imports be it the bndtools or the maven bundle plugin.
>>
>> Not declaring a version and thus using 0.0.0 will have BND generate a
>> version-less import, which essentially means „any version“, which really is
>> bad. All exports always should have an export version.
>>
>> Now, to Richard’s point: I think this is very valid and we better take
>> good care here. If we include OSGi API in our releases it is a re-release
>> of AL2 licensed bits. Key is re-release. If we release provisional OSGi API
>> in the OSGi name space which has not been released by OSGi yet, we are
>> essentially first-party releasing it.
>>
>> So before we go this route, I would like to have the OSGi Alliance make a
>> statement on this topic. In fact, it would make sense for the alliance to
>> make an official statement not only to the benefit of the Felix project but
>> to the benefit of all OSGi-related projects at Apache and elsewhere.
>>
>> WDYT ?
>>

> Yes, this is exactly the point that made us arrive at our policy in the
> first place. We do not have permission or release provision API from the
> OSGi Alliance. If I recall correctly, we are only granted permissions to
> provide _compliant_ implementations of released API.
>
> We have no way to achieve that requirement, which puts us in a gray area.
> Thus, we arrived at 1) only doing snapshots or 2) changing the package name.
>
> As Felix M. suggests, one way to remedy this is to get additional explicit
> permission from the OSGI Alliance that we are allowed to create official
> releases containing provisional API. However, this means we could get into
> situations where the OSGi Alliance kills something (e.g., Gogo) that we
> want to continue and we have created legacy in the OSGi package namespace.
>
> It sucks, but that is the reality of the situation.
>
> -> richard

The OSGi Alliance has never released API with version <1 and I think it
never will. This means that any API with version <1 that would be in Felix
provisional release would never clash with a released OSGi API.

AFAIK OSGi has never made a statement about the Felix release policy but I
guess it might be possible to try and get a statement from OSGi that it
will never release versions <1 and that implementation projects are allowed
to use versions 0.x during the initial creation of an implementation of a
new, previously unreleased spec.

I can take this up to the OSGi folks and see if I can get a statement like
that...

Cheers,

David