Thank you all for the feedback so far.

@Xintong, as you may know, AWS provides a managed Apache Flink service called
Kinesis Data Analytics. We regularly speak to our customers (these range from
startups to large enterprises) in various stages of familiarity with Apache
Flink. Most comments about the current Apache Flink website come from
developers new to Flink and decision makers (tech leads or higher) who look
through the website to quickly understand the value proposition of Flink and
why they should use it. On the other hand, most developers already familiar
with Flink do not typically use the Flink website, rather we see them spend
most of their time on Flink documentation. However, even these developers when
explicitly asked in our conversations often comment that the website could do
with a redesign.

@Mattias, there are a few more pages in the current website that would fall in
to the "only design changes" category. I will edit the FLIP to include all of
them and we can have a discussion about each with the mockup once ready. See
next step below for details

As far as the time to redesign is concerned, I believe that depends on how many
engineers with front end experience have capacity to help (any volunteers?). We
have a few engineers willing and interested to contribute from AWS. I am not
convinced we need to wait until the 2.0 release or any version release for that
matter. We can completely decouple the website changes so that we are able to
execute on the changes quickly once we solidify the design for a set of pages.

Next step: I am happy to provide mockups for each of the pages (the ones with
minor content change and the ones with no content change) and also show how the
theme will apply to documentation only for consideration. We may choose not to
make any changes to documentation in this FLIP, but it may be useful to
visualize before we decide. Given that we aren't really making any major
content changes at this point, I think a FLIP for each page will not be
necessary. Rather, we could use this discussion thread for specific feedback
for each page that will be changed.

On 7/12/23, 12:59 PM, "Danny Cranmer" <dannycran...@apache.org