+1

On 16/07/2023 08:10, Mohan, Deepthi wrote:
@Chesnay

Thank you for your feedback.

An important takeaway from the previous discussion [1] and your feedback was to
keep the design and text/diagram changes separate as each change for text and
diagrams likely require deeper discussion. Therefore, as a first step I am
proposing only UX changes with minimal text changes for the pages mentioned in
the FLIP.

The feedback we received from customers cover both aesthetics and functional
aspects of the website. Note that most feedback is focused only on the main
Flink website [2].

1) New customers who are considering Flink have said about the website “there is a
lot going on”, “looks too complicated”, “I am not sure *why* I should use this"
and similar feedback. The proposed redesign in this FLIP helps partially address
this category of feedback, but we may need to make the use cases and value
proposition “pop” more than we have currently proposed in the redesign. I’d like to
get the community’s thoughts on this.

2) On the look and feel of the website, I’ve already shared feedback prior that
I am repeating here: “like a wiki page thrown together by developers.”
Customers also point out other related Apache project websites: [3] and [4] as
having “modern” user design. The proposed redesign in this FLIP will help
address this feedback. Modernizing the look and feel of the website will appeal
to customers who are used to what they encounter on other contemporary websites.

3) New and existing Flink developers have said “I am not sure what the diagram
is supposed to depict” - referencing the main diagram on [2] and have said that
the website lacks useful graphics and colors. Apart from removing the diagram
on the main page [2], the current FLIP does propose major changes to diagrams
in the rest of website and we can discuss them separately as they become
available. I’d like to keep the FLIP focused only on the website redesign.

Ultimately, to Chesnay’s point in the earlier discussion in [1], I do not want
to boil the ocean with all the changes at once. In this FLIP, my proposal is to
first work on the UX design as that gives us a good starting point. We can use
it as a framework to make iterative changes and enhancements to diagrams and
the actual website content incrementally.

I’ve added a few more screenshots of additional pages to the FLIP that will
give you a clearer picture of the proposed changes for the main page, What is
Flink [Architecture, Applications, and Operations] pages.

And finally, I am not proposing any tooling changes.

[1] https://lists.apache.org/thread/c3pt00cf77lrtgt242p26lgp9l2z5yc8
[2]https://flink.apache.org/
[3] https://spark.apache.org/
[4] https://kafka.apache.org/