Joe Bohn wrote:

Many of the sample wiki entries include *.zip files in addition to references to the svn repo. These *.zip files include some snapshot of the source as well as the javadocs, xrefs, ears/wars, and in some cases even wiki html (I think including the wiki content in a zip is a bad idea ... it will never be up to date).

Several have spoken in favor of eliminating the zips and I was initially inclined to remove them myself in favor of just referencing svn.

However, that means that a user must build the samples (via maven) to get all the stuff included in the zip. So the user must have svn & maven if they want to play with the samples on Geronimo or locally work with the source.

One possible compromise would be enhance the build to produce the zip files. These zip files would be released when the samples themselves are released (and stored in an m2 repo). We could then reference the released zip file artifacts from the wiki entries rather than attaching them directly to the wiki. The benefit would be an svn/maven free way to get the source and artifacts to utilize the samples on Geronimo. Thoughts?

Right, we can not eliminate the zip files. Having the samples in svn is a way
for us to keep track of the updates, not a way to distribute them.
We should find a way to generate independent downloads for each of the samples,
pretty much the same way we do with the other downloads
(http://geronimo.apache.org/apache-geronimo-v21-release.html). Additionally, we
could have them available as plugins, we could set up a plugin repo just for
samples apps.

We should be able to do all this at release time.

Cheers!
Hernan