I lost a machine today due to a fscked up flash update utility.
You are warned :)

From: "Rodent of Unusual Size" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Sunday, February 03, 2002 9:10 AM

> "William A. Rowe, Jr." wrote:
> >
> > It would be rather cool, however, to have and index.html
> > and full.html in one place, and not rely on QUERY_STRING
> > so much.
>
> *shrug*  Go ahead and break it apart -- but only if you
> personally commit to keep all the pieces in sync, and easily
> accessible/printable both as separate and as a single document..

Not suggesting we 'ditch' the SSI.  Suggesting we do it 'both ways',
so to speak... full.html for those who want 'the big list' (it can be
grabbed by tag_and_roll, if we like), and the modular design that
Joshua is advocating :)

> > Especially one that is (in the minds of most implementors)
> > malformed.
>
> That is *such* a load of crap.   'Most implementors' my
> foot.  If you don't like something, OtherBill, please
> don't act as though you represent the industry when you
> express that dislike.

SORRY... however it seems there is a heck of a lot of assumptions in
the java-based engines that things come in foo=bar notation.  I'm not
saying that ISINDEX is useless, but the other form is (today) a whole
heck of a lot more portable across techologies.

> > A number of technologies might barf on ?ONEPAGE, while
> > they have no problem with ?ONEPAGE=1.
>
> Anything that barfs on '?token' and will only work with
> '?token=value' is seriously, seriously broken.  Can you name
> some of these 'technologies'?  There is a wealth of reference
> material that somehow fails to support the idea that valueless
> tokens are 'malformed'; for starters:
>
> RFC 2396 §3.4
>  <URL:ftp://ftp.isi.edu/in-notes/rfc2396.txt>
>
> Original CGI spec (such as it is):
>  <URL:http://hoohoo.ncsa.uiuc.edu/cgi/env.html#query>
>  <URL:http://hoohoo.ncsa.uiuc.edu/cgi/cl.html>
>
> The still-evaolving 'new' CGI spec:
>  <URL:http://cgi-spec.golux.com/draft-coar-cgi-v11-03-clean.html#6.1.8>
>  <URL:http://cgi-spec.golux.com/draft-coar-cgi-v11-03-clean.html#5.0>
>
> Just where on Earth did you *get* this idea, anyway?

A bug report, of course, that I'm not able to place, seeing as I'm
reconstructing that machine at this moment.  I do believe, however, that
jk sessions are implicated - but please DO NOT hold me to that, since I
can't verify my frame of reference.

Anyways, yes - SSI is a much better choice to pull these together.  And yes,
some folks would like to read the short pages on what they care about, rather
than the mega-list.  I'm not suggesting I PERSONALLY maintain it, I only
suggested that both 'forms' of the SSI results are distributed.

Does that last comment make sense?

Bill