At 10:20 AM 7/20/2004, Graham Leggett wrote:
>Henri Gomez wrote:
>
>>It's now time to refactor and redesign it with Apache 2.x (APR/AP) in
>>mind to follow Apache 2.x admins habbits and try to make something
>>simpler.
>>We came on httpd-dev for advice from experts, and may be an
>>extended mod_proxy could be the solution. But we also want to keep
>>the AJP/1.3 and AJP/1.4 protocols since it works well and so a pure
>>HTTP proxy is only part of the game.
>
>I think any module that speaks ajp/1.X should be called mod_ajp, keeps things simple
>and clean.

Definately.  This could also be a mod_proxy_ajp plugable proxy protocol
module (like mod_proxy_ftp etc.)

>>- Could mod_proxy be open to support AJP/1.x as tomcat connections ?
>
>I don't think mod_proxy should support ajp, rather a dedicated ajp module should.
>
>But I'm still not convinced a separate protocol is needed when HTTP exists and is
>supported already.

The http-ng protocol proposals mostly center on less text - more predictable
(and more harshly parsed) binary request and response formats.  In theory
(if not in practice) re-encoding and re-decoding headers is a burden.

>The "httpd serves the static content" feature can be implemented through extending
>ProxyPass to support regular expressions, for example:
>
>ProxyPass /myWebapp/*.jsp http://tomcat/myWebapp/

++1 - this feature would help regardless.

But if you want to do mod_proxy_ajp, the same could be written:

ProxyPass /myWebapp/*.jsp ajp://tomcat/myWebapp

>I'm not sure if persistent connections over and above HTTP/1.1 keepalives is that
>useful.

Not having to handshake-away tcp sockets which are frequently reused
is a good thing.  That said - keepalives accomplishes this for http:

Bill

p.s. just read ahead in this thread - and see Henri came up with the same
general idea :)