From: "Manni Wood" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>; "Guenter Knauf" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Tuesday, July 20, 2004 10:58 AM
Subject: RE: Invitation to HTTPD commiters in tomcat-dev

The real trick is getting Apache to serve all of the static content, and
getting tomcat to deal with only servlets and jsps.

I notice in all of the documentation I find for mod_jk, an entire
directory (/examples/* being everyone's favourite) is mapped to Tomcat,
so that even requests for images are passed back to tomcat, rather than
being taken care of Apache directly.

For business sites where the entire web site is the webapp (/* in other
words) apache is just passing *everything* back to tomcat, which pretty
much makes one give up and serve the whole site using Tomcat, forgoing
some of Apache's nicer features that have not yet been implemented in
tomcat (such as mod_usertrack.)

So I must stick to my argument here, and say that finding truly good
documentation for mod_jk, for fine-tuned configuration, as required by
the many business clients I've done work for, is difficult to impossible
at this point in time.

Not even O'Reilly's Tomcat book proved useful in this regard.

-Manni