On 07/02/2013 07:54, William A. Rowe Jr. wrote:
[snip]
I also wonder if this would have been different if the httpd project
had offered an rpm or apt-get packages, for example?  It seems like
there will always be a significant lag between a new major.minor
release and seeing it injected into the major distributions.

This has been the case for a while, and kinda makes sense, I think. I mean, would we build on the latest and greatest compilers, just because they had big new shiny features?

Probably not.  We like stability in time-tested compilers.

Same for many end-user sysadmins.

  Issac