On 09 Feb 2013, at 10:05 AM, Christophe JAILLET <christophe.jail...@wanadoo.fr>
wrote:

> Anyway, just my 2 cents:
>
>    - providing packages, as already discussed in the list
> ==> would ease distro update or end user installation

We already provide packages for RPM based distributions, and have documented it
too: http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.4/platform/rpm.html

The problem is that other major modules don't, and this delays adoption until
they do. Subversion is a good example, while they have a number of people
providing distributions, only Summersoft (that I know of) provides drop in
replacement for the OS supplied subversion binaries, and the last release they
packaged was for the v1.6 series. The other binaries have manual install steps,
or deploy to strange non standard places, and this requires lots of
documentation and education. You can't just drop the binaries into your
internal yum repository and say "yum update", end users have to explicitly
download a different package to what they're used to, and then fiddle with
paths to get access to it, and this is a big barrier to adoption.

Regards,
Graham