On 2/7/2013 2:47 AM, Jan Kaluža wrote:
On 02/06/2013 01:47 AM, Kevin A. McGrail wrote:
I won't be able to make the session but would add that because of a lack
of mod perl support with 2.4, we have not fully embraced it.

I have created lot of patches to build mod_perl with httpd-2.4 and sent them upstream. Unfortunately during the last year, there was nobody to review them or comment them. Few hours ago I've even ported new auth API to mod_perl and I'm going to send it upstream too. There were also people who offered their help on mod_perl mailing list with no response.
And I appreciate that a lot! I'm not trying to be negative on mod_perl, just stating a major hurdle we have to deploying 2.4.

Yesterday I have asked in mod_perl IRC channel to get the commit permissions so I could merge my patches with their (really old and unusable with current httpd-2.4) httpd24 branch and they agreed. Now I'm waiting for mail from PMC to get the permissions.
That is EXCELLENT news.

The problem is that I have little experience with Perl or mod_perl. I'm trying to improve current situation, but I don't want to be the upstream, because I'm not active mod_perl (or even Perl) user.

So to sum it up, I think the only reason why there's no mod_perl for httpd-2.4 is that there are no people who would have time (or be interested) in maintaining it.
I think there is a bit of a hurdle for me to even figure out how the code works because I still have never gotten even a patched version to compile. I'll see if I can pick back up on the conversation on the MP list and get it compiled. I've given quite a few dozen hours to looking at your patches, compiling, recompiling different perls (just to make sure that wasn't the issue), etc.

Regards,
KAM