Hi,

> getting that functionality from a library

The problem I see is version conflicts. What if the application uses a
different version of the same library.

> copied and used elsewhere

Do these +350 lines mean completely avoiding version conflicts and
removing one dependency? That would sounds OK to me. Personally, I
really don't like copied source code inside the same project.

> using JAXP you can never be sure which parser you actually get

Trying to support all XML parser implementations and versions sounds a
bit like trying to support all SQL databases to me. What do other
people think about using JAXP? Those links are a bit old:

https://jaxp.dev.java.net/1.4/JAXP-Compatibility.html

Regards,
Thomas