Hello developers,

I am new to this list, so missing a lot of background. Apologies
beforehand for eventually dumb questions...

We would like to build a self-hosted machine translation system that
could be plugged into our mailman installs. The objective is that the
members of our multicultural network would be able to send email in
their mother language and it would be delivered to the list
machine-translated (and vise versa). The translation pairs we care about
most are EN<->FR and EN<->ES

Our dream scenario is:

1. A translator machine is installed on our server, so the messages
don't need to be run through untrustworthy 3rd party services (googletrans)
2. Mailman (or similar) is connected to such a translator
3. Mailing list users can opt to receive messages sent to the mailing
list in following format:

----
Message body
----------------------
Message body translated
-----

4. Similarly, the system can be configured so that when receiving
messages from specific senders the messages get translated from FR or ES
into EN

Our default language used on lists is EN

Is Joshua relevant for this? Any previous experience with similar setup?
I suppose that a lot of configuration would be needed, but at this point
I want to know if I am not completely mistaken when considering your
Joshua for this.

Thanks

karel

Karel Novotny
Knowledge Sharing & Network Development Coordinator
APC - The Association for Progressive Communications
https://www.apc.org
GSM: +420 605 243 246 (GMT +1)
jabber: ka...@riseup.net
Working/online: Monday - Thursday