On 19.1.2017 15:15, Matt Post wrote:
> Karel — On this point, I don't think you should have to use the tutorials,
> which tell you how to identify training data and build new translation models
> yourself. I imagine that you would be more interested in downloading
> pre-built models that don't really require you to be an expert in MT. See
> this page:
>
>       https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/JOSHUA/Language+Packs

Thanks Matt for clarifications: Actually did download the language pairs
yesterday and tried to run them to test the webapp by doing:

./joshua -server-port 5674 -server-type http
and
firefox "web/index.html?server=localhost&port=5674"

However, it started consuming more and more memory until it jammed my
computer completely (dual core 8GB ram). It might have been some bad
config on my side though, or some other omission.

Our sysadmin should be able to make use of the API you mentioned.

If all sentences must be sent separate.... Then I suppose that there is
no way that we would automatically re-compose any formatting
(paragraphs), right? Having translated text in one big block or as
separate phrases on separate lines might make translating of messages a
bit challenging.

As for the volume.... While this is difficult to estimate, I've made a
calculation based on monthly volume in list archives in the absolute
peak month. The average per day is approx 1000 sentences, so it might be
around 3000 in peak days.

thanks for your interest in this.

karel