Hi,

reply to myself - for the needs of the germanophone project :)

André Schnabel schrieb:
- What are the requirements of the native lang teams?
E.g. do we really need full installation sets on each platform (even
several installation sets  for some platforms). Do we need all the
packages at the same time? Do we need the files on the mirror network
... (these are just some items that come tomy mind).

Our goal is simple: provide the leading OpenSource office suite to all our (potential) users in a as easy as possible way for them to know about OOo, get access to OOo and use OOo.

To achieve this, we try to release OOo on as many platforms as possible (and usefull) and distribute these builds via official mirror network and promote them via OOo website. To able to release a version, we need the RC builds.

The most easy way to install (vanilla) OOo is to use the full install set. Goran had very good points why langpacks are more complicated.

Our users work on several platforms and use several packaging methods. Our main platforms are: Windows, Linux (32/64 bit, rpm and deb) Mac OS X Intel. We need localized RC builds for these platforms (on the mirrors), we ask our users to test these builds before release - and we already got valuable feedback. If we would reduce the number of provided builds / platforms, we would not only make it more complicated for our users, we would also lose feedback.

In addition to those main platforms, there are "secondary" platforms: Mac PPC, Solaris Intel, FreeBSD, Solaris Sparc. We are trying to test those builds and release themas official versions, if we have time and resources left. It's not very likely to get user feedback for these platforms. In general,those builds can be provided later or on request. It's enough to have them on a single server (or alternative distribution network like bittorrent), als only few people will download these builds.

To us it is not important to have both (with and without) Java packages. we could go with either of these. Only platform is Solaris: we release only the version which includes the JRE.

Language packs are more or less "nice to have". Only few people are asking for language packs. Although we should provide language packs,we do not need them for RC testing and not on a mirror network.

l10n testing and snapshot builds are a different story. Idon't seedistribution related problems here. For those kinds of builds wedo not need the full install sets. Up-to-date language packs are ok for this.

I hope, this helps to understand our needs.

André