Hi Sophie

In the past (2003) we built a glossary based on the recomendations of the l10n project at that time. It had 11K strings aproximately.

That glossary was mandatory as first translation memory for the bulk job of OO 1.0.3 localization here, although it lead us to errors as some strings had different translation depending on the application (e.g. outline for texts, spreadheets or graphics). But since then it became less important as the memory translation was getting better and better, and the team got used to the software features.

Today, we don't use a formal glossary. Instead our knowledge on the software is enough for addressing the improvements. Also, the pace of OO releases together with pootle ease of use and access allow us to keep our translation sharp and very often, as side benefit, a reference for other softwares.

Olivier

Sophie escreveu:
Hi all,

I would like to know how you handle your glossary for your language.

As for now I use SunGloss [1]. But it seems that it is no more updated for English language and it's difficult for us to maintain our own language (this is not a criticism, it has been really helpful for me).

I know several languages are missing on SunGloss and I would like to have a more accessible tool to maintain our glossaries. They are important for us of course, but also for other (sometime the same) localization teams who are working on other product. We may want to be consistent with Gnome, KDE, Firefox, the Gimp, Gnumeric, etc...

Could we have a discussion on this and see if we need a tool that allow us to build and maintain our glossaries, with an easy search through languages, able to handle comments or definitions and with some revision tags.

Thanks in advance for your participation
Kind regards
Sophie

[1] https://g11nportal.sun.com/portal/index.jsp

Olivier Hallot
Scinergy Consulting
Tel (021) 2224-3224, (021) 8822-8812
Rio de Janeiro, Brasil
http://www.scinergy.com.br
OpenOffice.org L10N project leader for Brazil