Hi André,
André Schnabel wrote:
Hi,

Sophie schrieb:
I would like to know how you handle your glossary for your language.

As for now I use SunGloss [1]. But it seems that it is no more updated for English language and it's difficult for us to maintain our own language (this is not a criticism, it has been really helpful for me).
Although German was/is available in SunGloss, it never has been very complete. (German SunGloss contains only about 20% of the French Glossary - and most of these terms are generic, not OOo specific).

Yes, thanks to Brigitte Le Grand and Elsa Blume, we have a very valuable glossary on SunGloss. We also have the Gnome one uploaded.

SunGloss has some other drawbacks:
- we cannot directly edit / update

+1 this is one of my most important concern, that the community has no direct access to it

- there is no direct integration in translation tools

+1 also, this could be a major improvment

- export from SunGloss is a somewhat complex procedure
- you cannot export to standard formats (like TMX)

For this two points, this is may be manageable?

esp.for the first two reasons, we do not really use SunGloss anymore. What unfortunately means, that we do not use a Glossary at all at the moment. (Ok, in fact we use "Brain 1.0 Glossary" provided by our reviewers9.

My concern actually is to loose the work done by Sun and to not have an alternative solution for the community. I really think glossaries are important for localization and for translation.

During translation of OOo 3.0 I set up a glossary from our old translations using translate toolkit. This then was used by me as translation memory (for UI) and had been provided to help translators as Calc document (fast search).

Yes, most of the time this is how documentation translators use it. Also I know that OmegaT can be helpfull here.

We actually have the offer from a German company, that they will help us to establish a glossary (or terminology). But I did not really follow this yet, as we have no idea how to maintain this glossary and how to include in our tools.
To me seamless integration in your translation tool is the key point.

ok, I get your point, one update for two actions :)

Could we have a discussion on this and see if we need a tool that allow us to build and maintain our glossaries, with an easy search through languages, able to handle comments or definitions and with some revision tags.

I can only give an answer about the file format you should use for this: TBX ;) (TBX-basic flavour should be sufficent)

Thank you also very much for your feedback. Let see what others tell us, I'm sure we will be able to make progress on this :)

Kind regards
Sophie