Hello,

The Swedish community has waited for such a feature for a long time, making the hyphen being forwarded to the spellchecker.

We don't know what is expected from us. We would like this feature activated for Swedish.

What are the risks involved with activating this that our lingu team must know about? Our members working with the dictionary are experts and would well be able to answer to such issues.

:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.
Best Regards
Per Eriksson
Lead Swedish Native Lang Project
OpenOffice.org Community
Phone: +46 70 560 10 33
Email: pereriks...@openoffice.org
Web: http://sv.openoffice.org/

Thomas Lange - Sun Germany - ham02 - Hamburg skrev:
Hello Ruud,

Hi all,

Does anyone know how to modify the ICU (i.e. probably the word.txt file)
to allow for pre- and postfix "HYPHEN-MINUS" and "EN DASH" as part of
the word (in order to get them passed on to the spell checker as well)?

This would be useful e.g. for German where there are correct word parts
like
  "Arbeits- und Verwaltungsrecht"
Thomas, for German (as far as I know) and Dutch (I am sure about that) the
- at the end of a word is only correct when the word-part it is after is a
correct starter of a compound.
So, I woul not liek any dash at an end to be assumed correct.
I am busy working it out using compounding flags in hunspell. So I just
need the ending dash to be accepted as part of a word.
The same applies to the starting dash for ending parts from compounds ..
(less used, but allowed).
My question is NOT about if such a word is correct or not. That is not
the issue of the breakiterator (i.e. ICU).

But the ICU should treat hyphen/dash as part of the word when they are
at the start or end (at least in German, ...) because otherwise the
spell checker will never get to see the word "Arbeits-" but only
"Arbeits" and thus it can not verify that "Arbeits-" is actually correct.

Of course if a word with starting or trailing dash is correct or not
will be completely left to the spell checker and its dictionaries.

Thomas