Hi Per,
Hi Thomas

Thomas Lange - Sun Germany - ham02 - Hamburg skrev:
If the problem could be handled by the grammar checker only everything
would be fine and we would have no need to fix issue 64400.
But unfortunately we are not yet that far along the planned road, and it
will still take as a great deal of time. Currently spell checking and
grammar checking are still two completely unrelated processes and thus
grammar checking has no way to influence (namely overrule) results that
are reported by the spell checker.

Thus for example the current scenario for the German text
  "Arbeits- und Verwaltungsrecht."
is like this:
- the grammar checker should not find any problem at all
- but the spell checker gets to see the following three words:
   1) "Arbeits"
   2) "und"
   3) "Verwaltungsrecht."
  Because of the still open issue 64400 the spell checker will have to
  check the word "Arbeits" and that one does not exist. Thus it will be
  marked as incorrect. :-(
But if issue 64400 gets fixed and the dash becomes part of the word to
check than the spell checker gets to check "Arbeits-" and that word
should exist in a German spell check dictionary. And AFAIK it already
does exist like this in the current German dictionary. The only thing
preventing the dictionary and the spell checker from dealing with this
properly is that currently leading/trailing dashes are not treated as
part of the word for the purpose of spell checking.

Thanks for the update. Is this feature activated per language or globally?

The mid-hyphen as part of the word will be activated globally.
As for the pre- and post-hyphen, those will be available only per language upon request.
I think most languages will not make use of this.

Does this feature affect other features/functions/specifications in OpenOffice.org?
It should effect only all that makes use of the dictionary mode of the breakiterator (anything else will be a bug). The dictionary mode is used for spell checking, thesaurus and hyphenation. Thus the respective dictionaries may influence the results.

Thomas