On Apr 6, 2011, at 11:38 AM, Grant Ingersoll wrote:

> Until there is a specific patch that brings in and shows how JTS would be
> incorporated (via reflection and as a totally optional piece, presumably, per
> the ASF LGPL guidelines), there really isn't anything to vote on.

I think what is being asked to vote on is deprecation/removal of Lucene's
spatial contrib module with its replacement being an externally hosted
ASL-licened module expressly designed to work with Lucene/Solr 4.0 and beyond
(temporarily known as lucene-spatial-playground).  What would stay is the
_basic_ spatial support that got into Lucene/Solr 3.1. Furthermore, no future
spatial work would be accepted on Lucene/Solr aside from support of the basic
capability.

This module isn't quite ready so perhaps the vote should wait till it is.

~ David Smiley
Author: http://www.packtpub.com/solr-1-4-enterprise-search-server/