On Apr 6, 2011, at 2:08 PM, Grant Ingersoll wrote:
>> with its replacement being an externally hosted ASL-licened module expressly
>> designed to work with Lucene/Solr 4.0 and beyond (temporarily known as
>> lucene-spatial-playground).  What would stay is the _basic_ spatial support
>> that got into Lucene/Solr 3.1. Furthermore, no future spatial work would be
>> accepted on Lucene/Solr aside from support of the basic capability.
>
> That is the piece I was wondering about and why I said yesterday it isn't
> likely to work, as it will just fork.  How do you tell people not to put in
> patches to L/S, especially when part of it is native and part of it isn't?

I think risk of this is mitigated if the proposed external module is highly
visible in L/S -- in other words, it's downloaded and packaged up as part of
the distribution -- a jar, sitting along side the other contrib module jars (no
JTS of course!).  Users would be referred to this module for non-basic spatial
via the wiki and community in general. Of course I would prominently mention
this module in the 2nd edition of my book ;-) which is well underway.

~ David Smiley
Author: http://www.packtpub.com/solr-1-4-enterprise-search-server/