On Apr 6, 2011, at 10:45 AM, Ryan McKinley wrote:
> I'm trying to have an open discussion about what makes sense for
> spatial development.  I don't *want* to start a new project... but I
> think we need a dev/test environment that can support the whole range
> of spatial needs -- without reinventing many wheels, this includes
> JTS.
>
> Lucene currently has LGPL compile dependencies, but they are on the
> way out, and (unless I'm missing something) i don't think folks are
> open to adding a JTS build/test dependency --  Maybe I should call a
> vote on the JTS issue, though i suspect most binding votes are -0 or
> -1.  I *totally* understand if other people don't want JTS in the
> build system -- it is not a core concern to most people involved.

Until there is a specific patch that brings in and shows how JTS would be
incorporated (via reflection and as a totally optional piece, presumably, per
the ASF LGPL guidelines), there really isn't anything to vote on.

> I don't want this to be competition or duplicate effort.  I hope it
> lets us clean up the broken stuff from lucene and overtime deprecate
> the parts that are better supported elsewhere.

I totally agree.  I hope I wasn't framing it that way.  I'm just trying to
understand what's being proposed.  I can see advantages to both.