First and foremost I should mention: I'm currently in favor of just about
everything Cassandra has suggested here...

: So, I propose making some radical changes. My ideas here require a shift
: from thinking of the Guide as a release artifact like the binaries to
: thinking of it similar to how we treat javadocs. These ideas also allow us

I would actually go farther then that, and suggest that moving forward the
"official ref-guide" for "Solr X.Y" (hosted on lucene.apache.org)
automatically be updated anytime anyone pushes edits to brach_X_Y -- as
opposed to our javadocs for X.Y.0 which *might* be rebuilt for formatting
purposes (something we've done in the past) but no *code* (ie: "content")
changes on branch_X_Y would be reflected ... those would be part of the
"bug fix" release X.Y.1, which would have it's own javadocs.  But
meanwhile, the ref-guide for X.Y could/would be updated with doc
improvements even if there were no bug-fix releases from branch_X_Y.

: -- By ASF policy, release artifacts must be produced on a machine
: controlled by the committer. However, the point here is that the Ref Guide
: would no longer be a release artifact, so I think that gets us around that
: rule? If anyone sees this differently that would change things here a
: little bit.

FWIW: My understand from years ago was that the policy was unambiguious:
 1) a release vote is neccessary for anything that goes on dist.apache.org
 2) any "downloads" should come from dist.apache.org
...so "browseable html" docs on lucene.apache.org wouldn't require a
VOTE, but if we want to keep providing a provide a big PDF or zip file of
all the HTML that would require a vote -- *BUT* it seems like the rules
are more ambiguious now, particularly regarding "documentation" downloads
... ex: i know openoffice provides downloadable PDFs of their user guide
from their wiki, pretty sure they don't vote on that.

: PS, As for the PDF, I believe there are mixed opinions about it. Some rely

As someone who has been a long time advocate of the PDF, and of treating
it as an "official (VOTEed) release artifact" i wanted to toss out some
historical context, and notes on how/why my own feelings have evolved.

Once upon a time, Solr had shit-all user documentation.  We had nothing
but our (moin moin) wiki, which was a hodge-podge mess, an amalgmaation
mix of docs written by developers as features were created, and "tips"
pages written by users with thoughts on how to do things, and none of it
was well organized and all of it was sprinkled with "this feature
was added in version X.Y but changed defaults to FOO in version X.Z..."

When the lucidworks created the first few versions of the ref-guide using
Confluence as a CMS, and donated it to the ASF, i (and others) really felt
it was important that end users could see this new material as official,
authoritative, and "specific" (to each version of Solr) ... we did *NOT*
want people to start thinking of it as "just another wiki".  Since
confluence didn't have an easy way to "branch" the entire space for
each version (not w/o a lot of infra assistance) and *did* provide an easy
way to publish the entire guide as a PDF, doing that and voting on the
resulting PDF as a true "documentation release artifact" seemed like a
good way to ensure we not only had version specific "snapshots" of the
content, but gave these PDFs more "legtimacy" as being "official".

When we migrated to using asciidoctor, i (and others?) really felt like it
was important to keep the continuity of having an "official PDF release
artifact" since that was what our users were use to to ensure they were
looking a the "correct" ref-guide version.  (With the old confluence CMS,
the only "browseable" html view of the content corrisponded to the latest
branch_YYY_x, with a handful of pages for trunk only features).  But of
course: being able to branch the ref-guide source alongwith the code, and
being able to build & host browseable HTML pages for all the content was a
really nice value add.

The project, our documentation, and the communities views/experience with
our documetation aren't the same as they were 6+ years ago.  As already
mentioned by a few people: it seems like most users browse/read the
(version specific) ref-guide hosted on lucene.apache.org.  The handful of
users who really care about "offline" access to the content on their
laptops can probably build the HTML site locally from source just as
easily as they can downloda the PDF.

So while My 2013 self, and my 2015 self, and even my 2017 self would have
been really adament about having an "official voted (PDF) release
artifact" for the ref-guide ... my 2019 self realizes that the world has
changed, and we're just making more work for ourselves -- at an
opportunity cost of having an "official" (hosted) version of the ref-guide
with more accurate "post release" doc fixes and more dynamic presentation
features that just aren't possible in the PDF.

-Hoss
http://www.lucidworks.com/