I've had issues with asiidoc features available for the HTML version that
didn't work in PDF, and it was pretty frustrating to work around it. I
think just having the site would be an improvement for the development
side, but I've never used the PDF version myself.

Easy back-porting of documentation would make the solr user experience
better too, especially if the ref-guide is published on each merge. There
are lots of features that have been around for a while that could use
better documentation, and we shouldn't restrict better documentation to the
later releases when the features haven't changed since an earlier release.
I always go to the ref guide version that corresponds to the Solr version
I'm looking into, and I would assume most people do as well. If this is the
default use case of the ref guide, then I think backporting as many
documentation fixes as possible would be great for user experience (as long
as the documentation doesn't rely on new features).

However Anshum does make a good point that users wouldn't know when the
pages have changed. I think it would be great to have a link on each
ref-guide page that shows the last modified date and links to the history
of that page in github. That at least gives visibility to the changes, and
it could show the date of the most recent update. I'm not sure how hard
that would be to implement, but I would be happy to get something started
if anyone else thinks it's a worthwhile feature.

- Houston Putman