On 1/2/2014 1:51 PM, Mark Miller wrote:
For similar reasons, I think that Lucene and Solr should eventually move to Git. It's not GitHub, but it's a lot closer. The new Apache projects I see are all choosing Git. It's the winners road I think. I don't know that there is a big hurry right now, but I think it's inevitable that we should switch.

+1

I can't make any cogent arguments about whether git is superior to subversion at the basic job of version control, whether it produces better workflows, or any similar argument. Generally speaking, I do think it's a good idea for projects like Apache to eat their own dogfood, which currently we do because we use subversion.

That said, I do have to agree with ESR's general conclusion that git has won the current mindshare war. Open source projects are flocking to it en masse, and it's not just the little guys. I don't think that would happen if there weren't a good reason.

We're even using it in-house at work. My Solr install on Linux consists of two git repositories - one for configs (the solr home) and one for binaries.

For people like me who are relatively new to version control, there's little difference from one system to another. For others, there is a wealth of documentation and quick HOWTO information available.

Thanks,
Shawn