is 1.7.10.2 considered old? It still happens to me with that. I use
git at work every day.

I think there are two reasons why i see this:
1) I always like to run 'svn status' (actually followed by svn diff,
too), before committing as a final review to make sure i'm changing
what i'm thinking i'm changing. I must be able to do this with git
too.

2) After a merge, I like to run tests to ensure I won't actually break
things. I do this with svn too (e.g. run all tests after merge
--reintegrate). Tests can take some time. The phone might ring, i
might have to walk the dog, i might go get a beer. When i come back,
god forbid I run step 1 again to see what my current state is, or
re-run tests too.